Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer Art Classes: Eric Carle Animals







So June is Summer Art Class time at the museum, and I'm having the best time teaching two sessions of Sketchbook Spectacular. Basically, I'm teaching kids ages 8-14 how to use sketchbooks to store and brainstorm ideas, practice their drawing skills, and plan out final pieces of art. Today we did some drawing in the galleries, then started a collage project. They picked an animal, then made their own colored paper. Once the paper dries, they'll cut out the paper and piece together their animal. The picture above is my first step of making a flamingo. I'll upload the final product when I'm done. If you've ever read The Very Hungry Caterpillar, these animals are inspired by author Eric Carle's style. 

It's so interesting to be teaching one session of 8-10 year olds, then another session of 11-14 year olds. My younger kids loved picking out their animals and making their paper. The older kids rushed through that and begged to stay in the gallery longer. They loved drawing from paintings and were so transfixed. I guess that's why I plan a lot of activities into our hour and a half class...if something isn't clicking, we just move on to the next activity! 

This project is available as an Art Party activity. 

Edit:



No comments:

Post a Comment